How To Make Best Chowmein Roll and Spring Roll(2021)
It is one of the tastiest and lip-smacking snacks from southeast Asian cuisine. You can make them with any type of stuffing which you like the most.
Traditionally, they are made with vegetable stuffing but now they are also prepared with noodles stuffing inside the spring roll sheet and deep-fried till it’s crispy.
It is a unique combination of 2 street-style snacks in one. It is not necessary to make the noodles at the time of preparation of spring rolls you can also use leftover noodles and wrap them in a leftover chapatti and just shallow fry it. Believe me, it will taste amazing.
You can also make this recipe with Maggi noodles by adding some veggies like carrots, Onions, Capsicum, Broccoli, beans. Traditionally the spring roll sheets were prepared by using rice flour but it is quite difficult to make rice flour spring roll sheets.
You can make it with Maida spring roll sheets it tastes equally good. You can also purchase spring roll sheets from the market. It is one of the popular snacks in India and is mainly served with mayonnaise and schezwan chutney.
Serving it with schezwan chutney or green mint chutney makes it more delicious. But if you are serving it for kids then I would recommend you to serve it with tomato ketchup.
And if you are preparing it with leftover roti or chapatti then do not forget to heat it before making the wrap and apply some butter or ghee on top of roti while heating.
Ingredients for Noodles for Chowmein Roll:
Boiled Noodles-2 cups
Chopped Green Capsicum-1
Salt- to taste
Vinegar- 1 tsp
Soy Sauce- 1 tsp
Chopped Green chili- 2
Shredded Cabbage- 1 cup
Chopped Carrot- 1 cup
Green chili sauce- 1 tsp
Oil- 1 tbsp
Chinese Salt- 1tsp
Salt as per taste
Water as required
We can make spring roll sheets in 2 different ways. Today we are going to share both ways.
How to make Spring roll sheets dough for Chowmein Roll:
- Take a bowl and add 2 cups of Maida to it.
- Add 2 tbsp of oil and salt in Maida.
- Start mixing the oil in maida and make sure to mix it very well.
- Now start making the dough by adding little water at a time.
- Make a soft dough out of it and knead it for at least 4-5 minutes.
- Rest it for about 15 minutes and keep it aside.
How to make the Noodle filling for Chowmein Roll:
- Take a Chinese hawk or Kadahi on a high flame add 1 tbsp of oil to it.
- Make sure the oil is very hot and add chopped onions, chopped carrot, chopped green capsicum, and shredded cabbage.
- Saute them for at least 3-4 minutes. (Do not overcook veggies otherwise they will lose their crunch).
- Add Noodles to it.
- Now add green chili sauce, Soy sauce, salt, Chinese salt and give it a good mix.
- Do not mix it with a flat spatula always use a noodles spatula or fork to mix.
Now your Chowmein filling is ready.
Steps to make Chowmein Spring roll with the first method of making spring roll sheets:
- First, you need to make a cornflour slurry to seal the spring rolls.
- Take 3 tbsp of cornflour or maida in a mixing bowl and add ¼ cup of water and make a thick paste out of it. Keep it aside
- Now take a small portion of dough and make a ball.
- Start rolling the dough ball with the rolling pin
- Take a spoonful of chowmein and put it on the rolled spring roll sheet.
- Cover the edges with cornflour slurry so that it will remain locked while frying.
- And make a roll-out of it.
- Similarly, make all the spring rolls.
2nd Method to make spring roll sheets
- Take a ball-sized dough and roll it into a thick chapatti.
- Take another ball-sized dough and roll it into a thick chapatti.
- Similarly, prepare thick chapattis with the leftover dough.
- Now, take the first chapatti and put 1tsp oil spread all over it.
- Sprinkle ½ tsp maida and place the 2nd chapatti over the first one.
- Repeat the same process with other chapattis.
- Heat a Tawa and put the rolled chapatti on a slightly heated Tawa.
- Slightly roast the chapatti from both sides and take off from flame.
- Two spring roll sheets at one time are ready.
Now we can prepare bot the the Rolls with these stuffs -Normal Roll( also known as Chapati Roll) as well as the Spring Roll. First we will prepare the Normal Roll and then the Spring Roll.
Steps to Prepare the Normal Roll: Take a Roll Sheet(Chapati) prepareed with the second method, spread it on a foil sheet. Take the small amount of Noodle filling and spread it on the sheet along with the little bit of green chilli sauce and the tomato sauce. Roll it over and the Normal Chapati Roll is ready to eat. Preapre all the roll with same method and serve it hot.
Steps to Prepare the Spring Roll:
Now, It’s time to Fry
- Take a Kadahi add oil for fry and heat it on medium flame.
- When the oil will be hot take the spring rolls and fry them until they are golden brown.
How to make Shallow fried Spring rolls.
- Take a pan and add oil to shallow fry it. Heat it on medium flame.
- Shallow fry the spring rolls becoming golden brown from all the sides.
Shallow fried Spring rolls are ready to eat.
Serve Deep fried and shallow-fried spring rolls with schezwan chutney and mayonnaise or green chutney.
In the Modern era, everybody loves to eat street food but also wants to remain fit. So for fitness lovers here we are going to share a baked version of spring rolls. Let’s make it.
How to make baked spring rolls:
- Preheat the oven at 200 degrees centigrade for 20 minutes.
- Place the spring rolls on a baking tray at some distance and keep the tray in the oven.
- Set the temperature at 200 degrees centigrade for 10 minutes.
- Every oven has different temperature settings make sure to keep an eye on it.
- Bake all the spring rolls becoming golden brown.
Try making them at home. I hope you will love the taste of Chowmein spring rolls.