Litti Chokha is a traditional dish made with stuffed whole wheat dough balls, In which the stuffing is a mixture of spices and roasted gram flour or sattu. It is one of the most famous recipes of Bihar and Jharkhand in India. Let’s see how to make litti chokha at home.
Ingredients for making the Litti Dough:
- 2 Cups of wheat Flour.
- 1 tsp of salt or as per taste
- 1 tsp of carom seeds(Ajwain)
Ingredients for making the Chokha:
- 3-4 medium size Boiled and peeled potatoes.
- 5-6 medium size grilled and peeled tomatoes .
- 2 medium size brinjal, boiled and peeled.
- A cup of finely chopped onions.
- 1 table spoon of chopped garlic.
- 1 table spoon of chopped green chilly.
- 1/4th cup of chopped coriander leaves.
- ½ table spoon of chopped ginger.
- 1 table spoon of onion seeds or kalonji.
- A table spoon of black salt.
- 1 table spoon of regular salt.
- One tsp of Amchur.
- 1 tsp of lemon juice.
Ingredients for Litti filling:
- Two cups of sattu.
- 2 to 3 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves,
- 2 table spoon of chopped green chili,
- ½ a cup of finely chopped onions,
- 1 tbsp of ginger, 2 table spoon of garlic,
- 1 tsp of black salt,
- One and half tsp of regular salt,
- One tsp of amchur,
- 1 tsp of onion seeds or kalonji and
- about ½ a tsp of carom seeds or ajwain.
- 5 tsp of mustard oil.
We will first make the litti.
How to make Litti Recipe:
Method: Take 2 cups of wheat flour (atta), 1 tsp of salt and about 1 tsp of crushed carom seeds(Ajwain)(adding ajwain is totally optional if you want to skip it you can do that).
- Mix all of the dry ingredients and make a well in the center.
- Add 2 table spoon of melted ghee in the center.
- Mix the ghee really well with the dry flour with hand and add little water at a time and make a soft dough.
Yes, we need to make a soft dough not the hard one.
- After mixing it with water in 3 to 4 minutes you will see the dough is formed and it will look soft. Add more water to it and make it softer if you find the dough is still firm.
- Mix water with the dough with the help of your knuckles. (it is a traditional way of making litti dough.)
- After you finished making the dough you will see the dough is very soft and pliable.
- Now cover the dough and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
Let the dough into rest meanwhile we will prepare the chutney and the chokha.
Now we will make the chokha.
We are going to make Aloo, Tomato, onion and Brinjal chokha.
For making chokha:
- In a mixing bowl, you need to add 2 big size potatoes which are boiled and peeled.
- Now add 1 cup of finely chopped onions, 1 tbsp of chopped garlic, 1 tbsp of chopped green chilly, 1/4th cup of chopped coriander leaves, ½ tbsp of chopped ginger.
- Now we will add the spices.
- Add 1 tsp of onion seeds or kalonji, 1 table spoon of black salt, 1 tsp of regular salt, 1 table spoon of amchur, 1 tbsp of lemon juice, and 2 normal-sized roasted and peeled tomatoes and muddled.
- The next step for making our chokha is to mix it really well if you want to add some baigan or eggplants you can do that as well.
- After mixing all the ingredients your chokha looks absolutely delicious.
- Add 1 tbsp of hot mustard oil. And your delicious chokha is ready.
Now we will make the filling for our litti
For making the filling:
- Add 2 cups of sattu, you can also add roasted besan or gram flour if you don’t have sattu.
- Now we will add 2 to 3 table spoon of chopped coriander leaves, 2 table spoon of chopped green chili, half cup of finely chopped onions, 1 tbsp of ginger, 2 table spoons of garlic, 1 table spoon of black salt, 1 ½ table spoons of regular salt, 1 table spoon of amchur and 1 table spoon of onion seeds or kalonji and about ½ a tsp of carom seeds or ajwain.
- Add the mustard oil into it and mix all of the ingredients, We will heat the mustard oil before adding .
- Add 3 table spoon of mustard oil in a tadka pan, you can also use only 1 table spoon of mustard oil if you want to but I just like to add lots of it.
- When the mustard oil start smoking add it to the sattu filling.
- Now mix it up together. Make sure you are not using your hands to mix it because it is very hot, use a spoon or spatula.
- So if you are using less mustard oil then the filling will be very dry and we do not want our filling to be dry so please use some water to make the filling a little bit wet. This is what most street vendors do.
- Your filling is ready.
Making the Final Product(Litti) with the dough and the filling mad with Sattu:
Now we are going to work on the dough:
- Your dough is ready after 15 minutes or so .
- Divide the dough into 8 portions, you can also make smaller littis if you want to make smaller littis you can make up to 12 littis with the dough.
- Take 1 dough portion make a smooth ball out of it. Start flattening it from the edges, try to make the edges thinner than the center
- Stuff the litti with sattu filling for that make a small ball of the sattu filling and place it in the center and then start gathering the sides. This step is similar to making a kachori or a paratha. Gather the sides and then seal it up and press it a little bit.
- Similarly, make the rest of the litti’s.
Ways of Cooking Littis:
1. Cooking littis over a flame:
- For cooking, place a small grill rack over the gas.
- Place the litti on top of the grill rack. Make sure the flame should be low and then cook it.
- It will take about 5-8 minutes to cook the litti. Use tongs to flip them regularly. Cook them from sides as well.
- When all the littis are cooked, we will be dipping the littis in ghee.
- Take 1 litti and press it between your hands don’t break it.
- Dip the litti in the melted ghee by flipping it 2-3 times in ghee and remove it.
- Now our littis are ready to serve.
2. Cooking littis by Frying: In this method, we will fry all the litties into hot ghee or oil till deep golden brown.
Preparations for chutney(Optional):
- First, you need to roast tomatoes.
- I use to roast tomatoes over gas you can also use boiled tomatoes or raw tomatoes it is up to your preference.
- After the tomatoes are chard it will just take about 3 to 4 minutes of your time.
Now we will make the chutney out of it.
For making the chutney:
- In a mixer grinder, take 10 red chilies soaked in water (remove the water then add red chilies) 10 garlic cloves, 3 roasted tomatoes, and 1 tsp of salt.
- Now cover the lid of the mixer and make the chutney.
- After mixing it for 1 minute you can see the chutney looks red and smooth.
Serve littis with aloo chokha & tomato chutney and enjoy.