Vegetable Khichdi Recipe:
Vegetable khichdi is a very famous Indian recipe which is very delicious as well as healthy and easy to make recipe.
The vegetable khichdi is also known as “Tahri” in some of the regions in India like in UP and Bihar. Basicaly this recipe originates from Uttar Pradesh but now it is made in everywhere in India.
Now let’s do the preparation for a vegetable khichdi, which is more healthier than the simple one. You can use the equal vegetable to the rice or can use the more or less than the rice, it totally depends on you how much you like the veggies. I mostly prefer a 1/3 of rice mixed with the 2/3 of vegetables which include vegetables like Carrot, peas, potato, cauliflower, capsicum, beans and these changes from season to season.
Preparation Time: 30 to 40 minutes.
Cooking Time- 10 to 15 minutes.
Meal Type- Veg
Cuisine Type- Indian
Serve: 4 Person
3 cups of Rice
1/3 cups of lentils(Moong or Urad, Optional)
4 cups of water
1 pinch turmeric
Salt as per taste.
3-4 medium size tomatoes.
4-5 medium size potatoes.
1 cup of green peas.
4-5 green chilies finally chopped.
1/3 cup of Spring onion or Red Onion finally chopped.
3-4 leaves of Spring garlic or the garlic buds and chop it properly .
1 table spoon of cumin seeds.
- 1/4th cup of chopped coriander leaves.
1 small piece of ginger.
3 table spoon of mustard oil.
- First rinse the Rice and Lentils with flowing water for 2- 3 times and keep aside in a bowl.
- Now wash the tomato and dice them into small pieces
- Take the potatoes and dice them into small pieces , now wash them 2-3 times with normal water.
- Take the half of the coriander leaves, half of the garlic, half of the tomatoes and half of the chilli(all the half quantity of these ingredients) and the piece of ginger in a grinder, and make a fine paste of these ingredients.
- Put a cooker on the gas stove and heat it a little bit.
- Now add the mustard oil in the cooker and heat until the oil start to smoke a little bit.
- Add the cumin seeds and let it crackle, now add the the garlic, stir it for one minute.
- Now add the chopped chilli and the onion in it and stir it until the onion turns brown.
- Now add the diced tomatoes, potatoes and peas, carrot( you can add other vegies too) and stir them for 3 minutes.
- Add the fine paste of garlic, tomato, coriander and ginger and stir them till 2 minutes more.
- Now add the rice and lentils into the cooker and mix it will with all the vegetables and stir for 3 minutes more.
- Add the water and the salt as per taste and mix well.
- Now put the lid of the cooker and let the cooker blow 2 whistles and turn of the gas after 2 whistle and let the extra air come out from the cooker.
- Open the cooker and serve the Khichdi with Ghee and Garnish it with the coriander leaves and enjoy the tasty Vegetable Khichdi.